Shrew Media

The anti-stoat to global and UK media musings from the scuzzy sidelines of the bright lights and loud noises that make up our great British freedom of speech. And the like...

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

London-based media analyst juggling part-time MA studies, housework, authoring my first novel, looking after the cat

18 Doughty
Street

05 December 2006

Two annoying pieces from BBC news

As I look at the world's media all day, I'm disheartened to return to UK media and be really annoyed by petty stuff. Sadly, two things this evening have got my stoat.

First, what's with this:

Powerpoint Journalism

Powerpoint journalism!!

Is it just me or is this becoming more and more prevelent? Here's a journo stood in front of a graphics screen essentially giving a powerpoint presentation. Obviously it's a complicated story that needs explaining with slides. Look, I get these all day and the gag's wearing thin. Surely there's better ways to deliver the news.

Second, at the bottom of this story on the BBC website about the death of two firefighters at the weekend is this:

Books of condolence were opened at town halls and fire stations across the county and a memorial fund started to the two men who lost their lives.

The BBC has also set up an online book of condolence.

No, no and no! What public service is there in the BBC setting up an on-line book of condolence? It's just a new name for a message board, isn't it? And what is the BBC going to go with it afterwards? Hand over a disc to the fire brigade? I've no problems with a forum for thought, but something really irked me by calling it what they did and their intentions.

Whinge over. I'm in a bad mood after the batting collapse in the test match, and that fact that I'm getting up at 5.15am tomorrow to go to a conference. Nice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home