Shrew Media

The anti-stoat to global and UK media musings from the scuzzy sidelines of the bright lights and loud noises that make up our great British freedom of speech. And the like...

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

London-based media analyst juggling part-time MA studies, housework, authoring my first novel, looking after the cat

18 Doughty
Street

03 December 2006

An afternoon in Calais

I'm still amazed by the fact that I can get in the car, drive to Calais for the afternoon, do a spot of shopping at the supermarket and be back home before 9pm. Mind you, that was what I, and many, many others in SE England did yesterday. It was a mad idea, I know, to go to France on a December Saturday. Apart from the queues at self service check-in (caused by people who couldn't work the thing), and it was stupid going to the big Calais shopping centre... actually, it's still great.

I'll always listen to a podcast during the 35 minute Eurotunnel crossing. On the way out, it was Deutsche Welle's Inside Europe show - a classic piece of European broadcasting style with an American accented host, but quite informative (I never knew the French were making Mont St Michel an island again). It also prompted the following observation from my other half: "how do they get away with putting music in their podcast?" Different regulations, it seems.

Back to the UK, after a burst of the BBC World Service on MW and flicking through the FM dial whilst waiting to get through passport control, it was Iain Lee on LBC. I find the whole phone-in talk show a bit of a nause, as sub-groups of regular callers tend to dominant. Although I do dip in and out of LBC and quite like it. Perhaps because after a day of seriousness and downright misery of the world new agenda, I love something that doesn't make me think. Lovely stuff.

Anyway, top stoat tip: if you are going to do the beer run to foreign parts this festive season, definately do it, but on a weekday.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I can get the appeal of a lot of LBC's output and when not finding programmes across the BBC networks, LBC is usually where I find myself(Much as I dislike the big promotion of DAB in the UK with what appears to be a defunct system)ithas meant that I can access LBC without using the Satellite system.

I can get away with many of the presenters but looking at the changes after Christmas Day I will be listening less. The two that I hope to still catch being Steve Allen and Nick Abbott.

It is true about regular callers. Even Nick seemed bored with Louise from Barnsley last evening and more or less said so...

But she seems to phone just about everyone on LBC given the chance. ;-)

4:22 pm  
Blogger The Stoat said...

When all is said and done, I reckon David Lloyd is doing good things there.

5:29 pm  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

There's a lot of changes at LBC and I am sure its popularity can only increase, some things take time to bed in...

David Lloyd has a good radio voice(even Steve Allen says that)I also think that he is interesting and probably would be worth hearing on the station.

I am sorry that Marcus Churchill appears to be giving up his radio work seemingly for good(if I heard correctly)after such a frightening time healthwise and seemingly missing at present with another problem.

Do you think the likely replacement could be Anthony Davies who sat in a few months ago?

LBC is as close as I can get to what I remember Talk Radio used to be before it changed to Talk Sport.

In the earlier comment I meant to include Anna Raeburn.

1:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home