Shrew Media

The anti-stoat to global and UK media musings from the scuzzy sidelines of the bright lights and loud noises that make up our great British freedom of speech. And the like...

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

London-based media analyst juggling part-time MA studies, housework, authoring my first novel, looking after the cat

18 Doughty
Street

15 December 2006

Too much news!

A lot has already been said in the blogosphere and, dare I say, the mainstream media, about the perceived avalanche of news stories yesterday in the UK. Or, to be fair, the avalanche of news mainstream organisations thought was important enough to carry. This led to the age old row between the media and the government - the government buried their bad news by releasing it on the same day as major news stories from elsewhere.

Prime Minister Blair interviewed by police - police lead, surely
Investigation into sales of aircraft to Saudi Arabia dropped - government lead
Report published into the investigation of the death of Princess Diana - report authors lead
2,500 post offices across the UK to close (scandalous) - government lead
5 women dead in Suffolk - police lead
Christmas is coming - Santa lead

OK, I made the last one up. But was the agenda conspiracy or cock up? You decide, don't let me influence you.

Highlight of the day: I had to laugh out loud last night when one of my least favourite presenters on Radio Five Live asked 'has there been too much bad news today?'. Good grief, you're a 24 hour news station, are you seriously telling me there was too much news?

Today I've been at home writing my latest MA assignment - BTW, I passed my OU degree, I got my results last night and an undergrad diploma I forgot about. Hurrah! Al Jazeera English is on in the background. It's making a good change from the constant whoosh of breaking news on Sky (it's a clever trick, make a sound to get attention, put the breaking news caption on screen, then make the audience wait a few seconds for the actual news). Or, from the BBC, the 'waiting for the Queen to appear at Sandhurst' camera looking at a half empty parade ground. Yep, it seems they like the more sedate pace of hanging around for news rather than broadcasting it, then.

Right, another 1,500 words to go. I've covered the resurgent Cornish language, Yorkshire nationalism, BBC metropolitan bias, the Iranian revolution and Central American radio. Still to come, the English parliament on-line debate and France 24...

1 Comments:

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Congratualations on gaining your diploma...its well deserved and you obviously care about your chosen subject. Long may your success continue.

12:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home