Shrew Media

The anti-stoat to global and UK media musings from the scuzzy sidelines of the bright lights and loud noises that make up our great British freedom of speech. And the like...

My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

London-based media analyst juggling part-time MA studies, housework, authoring my first novel, looking after the cat

18 Doughty
Street

15 October 2006

Snail mail? A word in your shell-like...

I've had a very frustrating week battling with a mobile telephone company trying to get a new phone delivered. I'll not bore you with the details, but I will bore you with an idea.

Why is it that, in these days of on-line shopping and the reliance on mail companies to deliver your stuff, delivery companies rarely - if ever - deliver outside working hours? Say 7-9am, and 4-10pm? Or, if that's no good to them, why can't they be more specific about delivery times (a two-hour slot, perhaps). Surely there's a market for such as thing? Works for supermarkets... or maybe they just look after their customers!

As my colleagues shared my woes, we all were in agreement that even paying a small premium to have a delivery later in the evening would be preferable to taking a full day off work (which for most ordinary folk just ain't practical) waiting for a delivery 'sometime between 8am and 6pm'... if it comes at all, in my case during this woeful week.

It does seem a little odd that postal delivery services are not responding to an increasing on-line commerce community that relies on good deliveries. Or maybe the domestic customer just isn't worthy enough when business users are bulk posting.

Anyway, when the phone eventually arrives (if I hear 'you'll have one tomorrow' one more time, I'll scream), I'll review it. Because it's really nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home